I am pleased to introduce Shesha Marvin. Shesha is the seer of all seers, the prognosticators of all prognosticators…no, wait, that’s the groundhog…but he, along with his lovely wife, Nikki, is the Grand Poobah, the creator and organizer of the 24 Hour Cancer Dance-a-thon.
I participated in the 24 Hour Cancer Dance-a-thon for the first time last year, but I didn’t meet Shesha personally until one night at Third Saturday Swing. We got to talking and I told him how much this organization meant to me, especially since I lost a dear friend to cancer at the beginning of the year. Before I knew it, I was involved with the Dance-a-thon in a way that was beyond anything I could have hoped for, and I am privileged to be a part of this event. Having Shesha as a guide through this event just made it that much more fun.
In addition to being the brains behind this entire event, Shesha is also a world-ranked swing dancer, teacher, husband, father, and the c0-0wner of the ATOMIC Ballroom.
1. Tell me a little about yourself as a dancer and teacher.
I think dancing is fun and learning is fun so I try to make learning to dance fun.
2. What inspired you to start the 24 Hour Dance-a-thon?
I was doing a walk-a-thon and realized we could be doing swing dance version! I knew all the right people, the bands, teachers etc. I sat on the idea for a few years till I found a venue that would donate space.
3. What class will you be teaching during the Dance-a-thon?
4. What is your favorite dance move?
Easy, the swing out!
5. What is your strategy for staying awake during the 24 hours?
6. What is the one dance tip that you think every dancer needs to know?
Figure out what the heck a weight change is. A real one!